Frequently Asked Questions

1. How can I get an assessment done on my property?


To get information on assessments, visit the Property Valuation Services Corporation (PVSC) at

2. What are the tax rates?


Tax rates are as follows:

  • Residential $1.07 per $100.00 of assessment
  • Commercial $2.56 per $100.00 of assessment

3. How can property taxes be paid?


Property taxes may be paid by cash, cheque, money orders, debit card, on line or at your local bank. The Municipal Office does not accept VISA or Mastercard.

Electronic Bill Payment Options:

This enables bill payment access through telephone, internet systems, automated banking machines as well as teller transactions. The proper payee name is required to perform these transactions as well as your Assessment Account Number(s). If you have more than one property you must enter each assessment number and the amount you are sending for each property.

Online payments are possible with the following banking institutions:

  • CIBC - payee name "BARRINGTON M. D. TAXES"
  • RBC - payee name "BARRINGTON(MUN)TAXES"

4. What is the difference between taxation and assessment?


Property Valuation Services Corporation determines your property's market value and your municipality uses that assessed value to calculate your municipal tax bill. The Municipality applies the tax rate to your assessed property value to determine the amount of taxes payable.

5. When can I expect to receive my tax bills


Tax bills are sent out twice a year. The first tax bill which is the interim bill is mailed on or about April 1st of each year. Interest begins on May 15th. The interim tax bill will be 50% of a calculation based on the current years' taxable assessment and the last tax rate set by Council. The interim tax bill will also include 50% of the previous years' sewer service charge.

The second tax bill will be based on the current years' assessment, tax rate, area rates, sewer service charges, etc. This bill will be mailed on or about October 1st and interest begins on November 15th. The second tax bill is the official tax bill for the year and includes payments made as a result of the interim bill issued in April and any other payments, adjustments and charges.

6. When are properties liable to be sold at Tax Sale?


Properties which are two or more years in arrears are liable to be sold at Tax Sale. There are several steps leading up to:

a Tax Sale whereby additional expenses are incurred, i.e. title search. The redemption period for a tax sale property is six (6) months. Properties which are six (6) or more years in arrears have no redemption period. Individuals may make partial payments on tax accounts at any time. Interest will continue to accumulate on outstanding balances.

7. How do I report a street light which is not working properly?


A streetlight that is out or not working properly may be reported by calling 1-800-428-6230. Press "0" to speak to a Nova Scotia Power customer service representative.

Problems can also be reported online at Select "Residential Services", "Services", followed by "Street Light Repair".

8. How do I report an illegal dump site?


An illegal dump site or dangerous or unsightly premise may be reported here:

9. How do I report a dog running at large?


Complaints regarding dogs running at large may be reported here: