There are many geocaches to be discovered within the Municipality of Barrington. Uncover hidden gems as you make your way through our many coastal communities and discover treasures just waiting to be found! Geocaching is fun for the whole family!
- Geocaching for Kids – Geocaching can be fun and rewarding adventure for school groups, youth groups and families.
- Groups Geocaching – You can have a blast geocaching in teams with your friends in our beautiful outdoors.
- Couples Geocaching – You can spend a fun weekend with your significant other geocaching our coastal destination;then settle down at the end of the day to enjoy a romantic dinner for two.
Check out the
Shelburne County GeoTrail Adventure Passport
– Consisting of 32 caches located throughout Shelburne County. Find 18+ of the 32 caches and earn a Shelburne County GeoTrail trackable button. Find 27-32 of the caches will reward you with a limited edition Shelburne County GeoTrail trackable coin.
What is Geocaching?
Geocaching is the ultimate treasure hunt. A geocacher can located a cache location using GPS technology and then share the cache and location online. It is a fun way to add excitement to visitors driving, camping and hiking experiences with friends and family!
What is a GPS device and how does it work?
A GPS unit is an electronic device that can determine your approximate location (within around 6 - 20 feet) on the planet. Coordinates are normally given in Latitude and Longitude. You can use the device to navigate from your current location to another location. Some devices have their own maps, built-in electronic compasses, and voice navigation, depending on the complexity of the device.
Geocaching in 8 Easy Steps
- Go to www.geocaching.com and register for a free account
- Click “ Hide and Seek a Cache.
- Enter a Postal Code or address and click “ Search ” For the Geocaching Shelburne County geot rail, search “Shelburne County Tourism ” for a list of all the caches. List our postal codes in the County on brochure
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device
- Use your GPS device to help you find the hidden geocache
- Sign the logbook and/or record the code in your cache port and return the geocache to its original location.
- Share your geocaching stories and photos online or on our Facebook page.
Rules of Geocaching
- If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.
- Write about your find in the cache logbook
- Log your experience at www.geocaching.com and/or on our Facebook page
- Geocaches should never be buried or places in a location that might cause unnecessary concern
- Don’tplace items such as food, explosives, knives, drugs or alcohol in a geocache
- Geocache contents should be family friendly
- Respect local laws and obey posted signs